Categories: News

No Nigerian Arrested During Evacuation From South Africa – Mission

Last updated on September 11th, 2021 at 03:26 pm

Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, has said no Nigerian was arrested during the evacuation of voluntary returnees following xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

Mr Adama told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) through telephone that no returnee was detained on Wednesday by South African Authorities.

He said although some had immigration problems, they were quickly fixed.

The consul general added that what happened was that many of the returnees missed the flights because of their uncoordinated attitudes.

He said the delay in the evacuation process was caused by misplacement of travel documents as required by South African immigration laws.

“Some will still tell you that they put their documents inside bags that had been checked into the plane; some even said that they had theirs stolen and all that.

Albert Echetah

Recent Posts

South Africa Launches Ambitious Tree Planting Initiative to Green the Nation

Deputy Minister Bernice Swarts oversees South Africa's 10 million tree cover expansion project spanning five years from her office as…

April 6, 2025

Road Closures Alert: Two Oceans Marathon Returns to Cape Town This Weekend

Thousands of runners return this weekend to complete the Totalsports Two Oceans Marathon in Cape Town while creating traffic problems…

April 5, 2025

Nvidia Partners with Cassava to Launch Africa’s First AI Factory

Through their joint venture with Nvidia, Cassava Technologies creates the first African AI production facility to help local inventors. Cassava…

April 4, 2025

South Africa Warns Trump’s Tariffs Undermine AGOA Benefits as Trade Initiative Faces Uncertainty

On Friday, South Africa's government leaders warned that President Trump's wide trade tariff policies have zeroed out Africa's AGOA benefits.…

April 4, 2025

Kagiso Rabada Departs IPL Mid-Season, Returns to South Africa Due to Personal Matter

The Gujarat Titans (GT) team confirmed Thursday that fast bowler Kagiso Rabada is taking an early IPL 2025 exit to…

April 3, 2025

IFC Invests $100 Million in Raxio Group to Boost Africa’s Digital Infrastructure

The International Finance Corporation gives Raxio Group $100 million to accelerate their data center building efforts throughout Sub-Saharan African regions.…

April 3, 2025

This website uses cookies.