Last updated on September 11th, 2021 at 03:26 pm
Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, has said no Nigerian was arrested during the evacuation of voluntary returnees following xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Mr Adama told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) through telephone that no returnee was detained on Wednesday by South African Authorities.
He said although some had immigration problems, they were quickly fixed.
The consul general added that what happened was that many of the returnees missed the flights because of their uncoordinated attitudes.
He said the delay in the evacuation process was caused by misplacement of travel documents as required by South African immigration laws.
“Some will still tell you that they put their documents inside bags that had been checked into the plane; some even said that they had theirs stolen and all that.