Idriss Deby, the leader of Chad, has condemned recent demonstrations that have taken place in the country, calling them an “insurrection” that is supported by outside forces. At least fifty people were killed as a direct result of the harsh crackdown on the demonstrations.
Demonstrators were scolded by Deby, who also cautioned opposition leaders against engaging in violent uprisings. In a speech that was broadcast on Monday, Deby said that an “insurrection that was methodically arranged” had taken place with the “help of foreign forces.” However, he did not name any of these powers. According to Déby, “These were not simple demonstrations that were brought under control; rather, they were a serious, meticulously coordinated insurgency to cause disorder in the country.”
Déby claimed, “Opportunistic Chadians have been furnished with weaponry and money by external players, who have not hesitated for one second to destroy our country in order to meet their own personal goals as well as the objectives of foreign powers. Even as recently as today, actors in Chad have sought the help of foreign powers in order to exert pressure on me and engage in blackmail in the hopes of seizing power for themselves.”
In order to commemorate the day that the military had promised to hand over control in the volatile Sahel nation of Chad, opposition leaders had planned for peaceful demonstrations to take place on Thursday. On the other hand, Derby urged the country to come together as one in order to preserve peace in the country.
“I will not consent to our country being broken up, our people being torn apart, or our unity being jeopardized in any way.” “I will make use of any and all legal options available to me in order to stop these projects that are detrimental to our nation,” he declared. Since his iron-fisted father was slain in an operation against rebels in April 2021, the head of the Junta, Mahamat Idriss Deby, a 38-year-old five-star general, has been in control. He has been in power ever since.
After fifty people were killed in skirmishes in the capital city of N’Djamena and in the south of the country, the World Organization against Torture (OMCT) on Monday accused the Chadian authorities of carrying out summary executions and torturing victims. During demonstrations held on Thursday, an NGO based in Geneva highlighted “severe human rights breaches.” The demonstrations were in response to a decision made by Chad’s military ruler to extend his junta’s hold on power for two more years.
The Organization for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (OMCT), along with three human rights organizations based in Chad, have stated that they have brought this matter to the attention of special rapporteurs or experts working for the United Nations, requesting that they conduct an investigation as soon as possible. In Chad, a country in the volatile Sahel region, where the military had promised to hand over power, opposition leaders had planned for peaceful protests to take place on Thursday.
He claimed that there was a “clear desire to provoke a civil war” and that opposition and rebel groups had “recruited and employed terrorist and paramilitary groups to carry out mindless mass executions.” He said this in reference to the fact that there was an “obvious desire to trigger a civil war.” However, medical sources and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) said that scores of people were shot by live fire from security personnel.
According to a tentative mortality toll provided by the OMCT, there have been at least 80 people killed in N’Djamena and four towns located in the south: Moundou, Doba, Koumra, and Bebedjia. The bodies of dead demonstrators were found over the weekend in the Chari River in N’Djamena, according to a statement released by the OMCT. The statement also said that prisons had been made out of classrooms at the Abena Communal High School in the capital city.
According to the statement, “young individuals were reportedly executed summarily there the morning (Monday),” and it went on to say that hundreds had been arrested, and some of them had been tortured. The United Nations issued a statement in which it “deplored the use of fatal force” and demanded that an investigation be conducted into reports of abuses of human rights. Both the African Union and the European Union have spoken out against the violent way the protests have been put down.