After fighting that has resulted in the deaths of around 200 people, the foreign ministers of the G7 nations met on Tuesday to issue a call for an “immediate end to hostilities” and a return to discussions in Sudan.
An ongoing power struggle between the forces of Sudanese army leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who commands the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, erupted into deadly violence on Saturday. The conflict has been going on for several weeks.
The rise in violent incidents drove the subject onto the agenda of the top G7 diplomats who were meeting in the town of Karuizawa in Japan to discuss the matter. They said in a statement that was made following their discussions, “We urge the parties to end the hostilities immediately without preconditions.”
They issued a warning that the conflict “threatens the security and safety of Sudanese civilians and undermines efforts to restore Sudan’s democratic transition.” The organization stressed the importance of getting back to the negotiating table and asked all parties involved to “take active steps to reduce tensions and ensure the safety of all civilians, including diplomatic and humanitarian personnel.”
According to the statements made by the State Department, United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken had a conversation with the generals who are commanding the two opposing factions earlier on Tuesday and pushed them to agree to a ceasefire. U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken stated on Tuesday that despite being shot upon in Sudan, individuals traveling in a diplomatic convoy representing the United States were uninjured.
“I can confirm that there was an attack on an American diplomatic convoy yesterday,” the official said. “Everyone who belongs to our group is safe and uninjured. But this action was risky, it was irresponsible, and of course it put people in danger,” he told reporters in Japan after G7 discussions had concluded.
In spite of regional and worldwide pleas for a truce and the mobilization of diplomats, the violence in the capital of the chronically unstable country is being described as unprecedented and might go on for a long time, according to analysts. There have been battles all around the enormous country, and there is concern that they will spill over into neighboring regions.
Citizens of the city are spending the final and holiest days of Ramadan watching from their windows as tanks move through the streets, buildings tremble, and smoke from fires sparked by the fighting hangs in the air. These events have terrified the citizens of the capital. The conflict has included intense shooting, as well as artillery and air strikes.
Those who are compelled to leave their homes must stand in long lines to get bread and gasoline at the few businesses that have not yet closed. There have also been reports of residents coping with power disruptions.
At least 185 people have been killed, and another 1,800 have been injured, according to the director of the United Nations mission in Sudan, Volker Perthes, who disclosed this information to the Security Council behind closed doors.
After the discussion, Perthes was quoted as saying to the reporters, “It’s a very fluid situation, so it’s very difficult to say where the balance is shifting to.”
In a statement made earlier on Monday, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reiterated his appeal for a “immediate cessation of hostilities” between the warring sides in Sudan. Further escalation, he warned, “could be devastating for the country and the region.”