Two days after the Tunisian UGTT trade union said it would not take part in the national discussion proposed by President Saied, the Deputy Secretary-General provided the underlying reasons for the decision. These reasons were given in an explanation.
“Sami Tahri made these remarks during a press conference. Tahri said, “We have always warned that any call for discussion must be done in a consultative way.” It is impossible to accomplish this by issuing orders or issuing decrees. There was no consultation held in response to the most recent call for consultation [for discussion] made by the President of the Republic (Kais Saied), which is in violation of decree no. 30, which was published without consultation before it should have been.”
The declaration made on Wednesday follows President Kais Saied’s appointment of a lawyer to lead a panel that has been entrusted with revising the Constitution through the use of a process called “national conversation.” On the other hand, all political parties were not allowed to take part, and only four organizations, including the Tunisian League of Human Rights, the National Bar Association, and the Employers’ Organization UTICA, were invited.
The UGTT was a part of a debate that was held at the national level following two political assassinations that shook the nation only two years after the revolution. Because of their work, which led to the creation of a new technocratic government, the union and the other people who took part in the movement were given the Nobel Peace Prize.
The seizure of power by Saied on July 25 was met with approval by many Tunisians who were sick of the post-revolutionary democracy’s repeated stalemates. However, his detractors, particularly the Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party, which has dominated politics in the country since the end of the revolution, have warned of a return to tyranny. The president of Tunisia dismissed the administration in July of last year, which made the country’s political crisis even more severe.